CONVERSATIONS: Feeding your love of life!

CONVERSATIONS: Feeding your love of life!

Conversations LIVE on WYAD 94.1 FM in Yazoo City, Mississippi!

Conversations LIVE on WYAD 94.1 FM in Yazoo City, Mississippi!
Click banner for details.

Conversations LIVE is on 106 Live Radio

Conversations LIVE is on 106 Live Radio
Monday through Fridays @ 11a.m. et (10a.m. ct/8a.m. pt)

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Our Conversation with Journalist/Political Commentator Billy Hallowell

Our Conversation with Journalist/Political Commentator Billy Hallowell

With the world facing challenges from several fronts, it is easy to see why so many have become passive and just accept what ever comes. Billy Hallowell is not one of those people. A native of Rochester, NY, the 25 year old is using every platform at his disposal to bring attention to issues that matter to him. While some just talk about what they think is wrong in the world, he is looking for and offering solutions to those who are truly interested in making a difference.

Recently Hallowell talked to Conversations's own Cyrus A. Webb about the direction he thinks the United States is going in, his thoughts on universal healthcare, if either political party is completely blameless when it comes to how we got to where we are now and how it's not always possible to keep religion and politics away from each other. (NOTE: Billy Hallowell will be a guest on Conversations LIVE! Radio on Monday, August 31, 2009 @ 7p.m. CST (8p.m. EST/5p.m. PT. You can listen to the interview live or the podcast afterwards by clicking here.)

Here is our conversation...


Billy, thank you for taking out time to talk with us. Can you tell me when you became aware of your ability to articulate your opinions?
No problem! Thanks for having me. In terms of my ability to articulate and discuss my opinions -- well that came with learning and time. I'd be doing a disservice to everyone around me who nurtured me if I said it was natural! I do believe that God gave me the gift of communicating, but it took the hard work and nurturing spirit of a number of key adults in my like to guide me along.

In 1999, following the Columbine shooting, I decided to get involved in the anti-violence movement. At the time, I was 15. I'd say this is where it all began (wow, a decade ago)! I started a web site called Teen Web Online, devoted to championing antiviolence, antidiscrimination and a number of other issues my peers faced. Then, as time went on I began public speaking and started my own subcontracting firm, Pathufind Media (www.pathufindmedia.com), with the goal of spreading positive messages to audiences around America. But, to backtrack -- following Teen Web, I was offered a column on SHiNE.com (no longer around). At the time they were working with MTV, so it was pretty exciting. I was able to voice my opinion on a number of issues, as the editor would nurture me through the process. This was really the beginning of the process through which I found my "voice."

From some of your writings it would seem that you have a deep interest in what's going on in the world now. Has that always been the case?
Yes, in some for, it has. It wasn't until 2003 that I really jumped into political issues. Before, it was strictly social. But, as a child I dreamed of being a journalist. Media and current events have always been my passion.

Read the entire interview here: http://readingmylips.blogspot.com/2009/08/our-conversations-with.html